Saturday, February 3, 2007

Hike Table Mountain (at middday in summer)



Ok, so it was totally worth it. 1100 Meters----3 Km---34 degreees celcius---1 and a half hours....... Oh shit, I've gone metric, lemme clarify. 3300 feet-----1.3 miles--- 103 degrees fahrenheit----1 and a half hours. It was the hardest short hike I've ever done. The first 60 percent of it was done in the in the direct sunlight, luckily the other 40 was all shady and a nice south westerly breeze picked up(it may have saved my life). We had two friends in town from the old neighborhood in Jo'burg, Brett and Jason. My brother, brett, J and myself decide that 3:00 is the perfect time to hike up the mountain. Brett was very reluctant the whole time and then 30 min. in I realized why. I felt like I was been cooked by the sun ( we are in the dead of summer down here). Needless to say once we reached the top it felt great and all the suffering was worth it. The only thing I regret was drinking two beers and eating half a pizza an hour before the hike(NOT POWER FOOD). But once up top we indulged in some beer shandys (1/2 beer 1/2 lemonade) , they were amazing. We got up too early so decided not to stay for sunset. The hike up took almost 2 hours and the cable car down took 10 minutes(kinda depressing). Anyway enjoy the pictures. p.s. I reccomend table mountain to anyone who comes to Cape Town, it is spectacular. There are about 5-6 routes to the top that vary in difficulty, we just happened to choose the most direct(and steepest one).

No comments: